The Spirits of Arda (Q."Ardanávër") were an enigmatic race born in the deepness of the creation as living embodyments of Ambar. They were sometimes erroneously considered Maiar but they never were servants of any greater power and many even had never heard of Eru their creator for they only cared for the world of Arda herself and knew little of the timeless halls. However most scholars agreed that the Spirits of Arda might have been Eälar of some sort and related to the Spirits of the Ainulindalë or somehow were awakened or brought to life by Eru with the World herself.
Known Entities often believed to be Spirits of Arda:
- The Bulor-Ilg
- The Bird of Warmth, Embodyment of Spring.
- The Giants, Embodyments of the raw forces of Nature.
- Gilim the Giant, Embodyment of Winter.
- Nan the Giant, Embodyment of Summer.
- Wade the Sea Giant
- Great Glow-worms, Embodyments of primordial Light
- Mother Withywindle, the Embodyment of the river Withywindle, and her daughter Goldberry.
- Tom Bombadil, the Embodyment of the Landscape of the Old Forest.
- Ungolianth, the Embodyment of the primordial Night.
- Nameless Creatures, earth-eaters or World-eaters, unknown entities embodying the dying of the world.
- Lintips, Mewlips, Gargoyles, and certain Kelvafeär.