Old Rhovanian is a language or family of languages that were spoken in Rhovanion in the early and middle Third Age, a descendant of the Eriedaic of the Second Age. There are several old rhovanian dialects:
- Atliduk (dialect of the Beijabar)
- Eothric or Ehwathrumiska (dialect of the Eothraim)
- Gramuik or Gramiska (dialect of the Gramuz)
- Kuduk (an ancient Hobbit dialect)
- Nahaiduk (dialect of the Woodmen of Rhovanion)
All of these are represented by latinized Gothic. However the northern Rhovanian tongues of the men of Dale and Esgaroth and the names of the dwarves of Dúrin´s house are represented by Old Norse. At later times the descendants of the Northrons such as the Rohirrim and their kinsmen spoke languages that are represented by Anglo-Ssaxon (Éothéod and Beornings) or Old Frankish (some hobbit's and Radagast's names).