The Northerners or Free Tribes of the North (Or."Worauthai Madûr") were Orcish tribes native to northern Rhovanion, the Ered Mithrin, Forodwaith, northern Hithaeglir including the Mountains of Angmar, Gundabad and Moria.
In contrast to the Orcs of Mordor, Dol Guldur, and Isengard, they largely ruled themselves after the fall of Angmar. Their High-king bore the title of Ashdurbuk and traditionally resided at the orc-capital of Mount Gundabad.
The northerners largely were greater Mountain orcs, though they had early been joined by fighting-Orcs from Barad-Dur and deep-Goblins hailing from the Underdeeps. Their nobility was a clan of Great Ogres or Hobgoblins who descended from the demonic Boldogs of Angband.
In All the Northerners counted thirty tribes and an even larger number of smaller subjugated and tributary clans.
- Goblins of Goblin-Gate numberless small clans allied in one big tribal coalition
- Gram Goblins one greater tribe with a number of smaller sub- clans
- Moria Goblins shifting number of 3-10 tribes
- Orcs of Angmar - one coalition of 27 smaller tribes divided into four larger tribal federations
- Orcs of Forochel and the Northern waste - an unknown number of ice orc-clans
- Orcs of the Grey Mountains - three major tribes
- Orcs of Gundabad - four major tribes