The Middle-earth Role Playing game (MERP) was released by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE) in 1984. It is a simplfied version of ICE's Rolemaster System. There have been two editions of the rule-book, and many modules and supplements published until Iron Crown lost the license in 1999. It is currently out-of-print.
The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game (LOTRAG) was released as a further simplified version of the MERP rules.
Additional Classes for experienced Gamers:
Playable Races and Cultures
Common Player Races
- Dwarves of the seven Tribes
- Umli (Half-Dwarves)
- Middle Earth Roleplaying Books
- MERP Modules
- Adventures in Middle-Earth by various Authors
- MERP Resources by 3rd-parties
- MERP First Edition Product List @ icewebring.com (more-or-less complete)
- MERP Second Edition Product List @ icewebring.com (more-or-less complete)
- Printing and Edition Reference for MERP Middle-earth Role Playing @ icewebring.com "This page is a research project intended only for identifying and enumerating the different printings and editions of English-language MERP products from 1992 and earlier…".
- The Wild Lands South and East, Gazetteer (archived @ archive.org)