Half-Orcs (Or."Bâlaki", "Half-breeds") were half-bloods of Orcish and Mannish descent.Some Half-Orcs appeared rather mannish, although usually ugly and sallow-faced, some appeared as horrible creatures with the bodies of men and goblin-heads.
The various techniques of crossing and interbreeding Orcs with degenerate men to create newer, stronger , larger or otherwisely specialized Orc-races had been known since the first Age however, studying the dark arts of the Enemy, Saruman re-discovered the forgotten or largely disbanded secrets, improving and finally perfecting them and was the first to use them in great scale to create an entire army, carefully trained and selected for about centuries.
- Fhagongi, or "Greater Goblins", appeared to be lesser Orcs, though of somewhat larger statue, with thick legs, large hands , slant eyes and swart skin.They only had minor traces of goblin-man blood ,also they were immune to sunlight, though lacking their pureblooded kinsmen's nightvision.Like all half-orcs they also had white, mannish appearing eyes.Most of these served as workers, craftsmen, slaves and lighter armed Soldiery.Like the Oghorgongi they were despised as "Snagas" by the Great Uruks.
- Fha-Uruki, "Great Uruks" or "Uruk-Hai perfected", these were large but unbowed, almost mannish appearing, Uruks, of black hide dotted with small patches of lighter, seemingly mannish ,skin.They had only minor traces of "Goblin-Man" blood, making them completely immune to sunlight, though like the Oghorgongi and the Gongsharai they had lost their races natural night-vision.They were the common heavy armed Soldier-Orcs of Saruman's and thought of themselves not as "Halfmen" at all but insisted on being "fighting Uruk-Hai" while their elder cousins of Mordor were mere "Swine and Apes" to them.
- Gámmurashi or "Ill-spawned" were much less a distinct class but rather failed experiments, often appearing obviously deranged or horribly deformed, with goblin-like lower body and human head or orc-heads seeming sewed on a human-appearing torso.Most of them were used as slaves or lower workers in the pits below Orthanc, though some of the stronger and healthier ones were armed and trained as heavy armed Soldiers alongside the fighting Uruk-Hai.
- Gongsharai or "Goblin-men", were Half-Orcs with rather goblin-like appearance.Many of Sarumans ruffians and most of his Wolfriders were of this kind.They were completely immune tu sunlight but had lost their races natural night-vision.
- Oghorgongi were rare crossbreeds of Goblin, and Woses. Saruman´s personal servants and the clerks of Orthanc, the lesser orc sorcerers of Isengard mostly were of this kind.Many others served as Saruman's scouts and elite-trackers.
- Uruksharai or "man-orcs", were the most common strain of half-orc, having a mostly mannish appearance, although sullen-faced and slant-eyed.Saruman´s spies and Slayers were of this kind, also most of his Ruffians in Eriador.
- Uruktarki or Greater Half-Orcs were rare crossbreeds of Uruk-Hai and high Men.The Berserkers of Isengard were of this kind, as were some higher-ranking Uruk-Hai commanders.They were larger and heavier in built than the common Uruks, with black hide dotted with parts of sallow, more mannish appearing skin.Having only few traces of goblin-man blood they, like the "Great Uruks", insisted to be adressed as "fighting Uruk-Hai", dismissing their cousins from Mordor or Dol Guldur as inferior.
- Warguruki or "Uruk Wolfriders" were a slightly smaller lighter strain of Uruk-Hai, capable to move in full sunlight and small and light enough to mount War-Wargs.
Half-Orcs of note
- Baugúr - a half-orc and weaponsmaster of Saruman in Isengard ("ill-spswned")
- Bugrug - Saruman´s master-smith (Oghorgong)
- Cosimo - one of the leaders of Sharkey's ruffians in the Shire. (Greater half-orc)
- Squint - Saruman's most trusted spy and courier ("Man-Orc")
- Doeth - one of the two servants of Saruman sent to Bree ("Man-Orc")
- Dunaedd - a demented Half-Orc from Cardolan posing as the cardolandren heir Cyneig ("Man-Orc")
- Durbuhuk - a Warlord of half-orcish Brigands in the southeastern Hithaeglir. ("Goblin-man")
- Euog - one of the two servants of Saruman sent to Bree ("Goblin-man").
- Flizhpot - Saruman´s brute and chief of the orcish lumber-camp in Fangorn ("greater goblin")
- Gazmog the Messenger - Saruman´s Servant and emissary (Oghorhong).
- Grimbosh - Captain of sharkey´s shipping at Tyrn Gorthad ("greater half-orc").
- Long Tom - Chief of Sharkey´s company in the shire ("Orc-man").
- Lurtz - first of Saruman´s perfected Uruk-Hai ("Great Uruk").
- Móg - Chief Commander of Saruman´s forces ("Greater half-orc").
- Nargla - Half-orc Sorcerer in the Band of Mongán Finn (Goblin-Man)
- Nazog the Murderer - a thief in Ithilien, part orc part Variag, a member of the Uruk-Ongrum (Goblin-man)
- Sargulk -one of Saruman's Chief-Spies in Dunland.
- Saviga - an orcish Witch, partly Orc partly Northron, Queen of Gundabad and spouse of Zalg (Goblin-man)
- Sharku - Saruman´s chief Warg-Rider ("goblin-man")
- Thergor the Half-Orc - a half-orcish Assassin from Enedhwaith (Goblin-man)
- Thrugg - Chief of Saruman´s Berserkers ("Great Uruk").
- Wrnach - Chief of Saruman´s spies ("man-orc").
Original terms in LOTRRPG:Drû-Uruks = Oghorgongi Dûr-Edain = Uruktarki
- Lotr RPG (CODA): Isengard Sourcebook